Friday, April 20, 2007

Slaves and Masters

Ephesians 6 (New International Reader's Version)

Slaves and Masters
5 Slaves, obey your masters here on earth. Respect them and honor them with a heart that is true. Obey them just as you would obey Christ. 6 Don't obey them only to please them when they are watching. Do it because you are slaves of Christ. Be sure your heart does what God wants.


7 Serve your masters with all your heart. Work as if you were not serving people but the Lord. 8 You know that the Lord will give you a reward. He will give to each of you in keeping with the good you do. It doesn't matter whether you are slaves or free.

9 Masters, treat your slaves in the same way. When you warn them, don't be too hard on them. You know that the One who is their Master and yours is in heaven. And he treats everyone the same.


As I have struggled through the years with my reality of serving earthly masters when I'd much rather be serving God, I have relied on this passage to keep me focused. When I feel restrained in the secular world and feel myself looking longingly over the fence at those serving in full time ministry, I remind myself that God has placed me here for a reason. I have much more opportunity to touch the lives of the unchurched or lost in a secular profession than I likely would working in a church setting and I pray for God's direction as I seek to share the Good News!



Bookmark and Share

No comments: