Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Future of Your Childhood Memories Has Arrived

I remember being in high school and everyone joking about the book “1984” because here it was, 1984, and that 1949 George Orwell vision of the future hadn’t come to pass (although Big Brother was just around the corner).

Now dial back eight years to one of my favorite Sci-Fi flicks “Logan’s Run”… I have no idea why I liked it so much – it really was a disturbing concept in retrospect – but there was one part of it that came to mind recently when I went into the hospital for a hysterectomy. Here’s the 1976 concept of the future of surgery …



My surgery was performed by the Da Vinci Surgical Robot (with my surgeon at the game controls, of course – certified by Nintendo I think) and I had a momentary flash of a 2010 sequel “Lauren’s Run.” It’s actually quite cool. Check this thing out:



If you’d asked me in 1976 if I ever thought I’d be operated on by a robot, I surely would have laughed at you. Isn’t technology amazing?
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Imagine what they'll have in another 20 years. They should totally make a Wii game based on surgery.

Missed your Tweets of Pastor's message! Praying for you, Mr. Yost and the boys!

ML Yost said...

I would totally play that game! :-) (I'm sure there's something wrong with that).

Thank you for your prayers. I know they've made the difference. The post-op biopsy was "cancer free" so PRAISE GOD, the worst of it is over. Now just to recover from the proceedure.

tracey said...

why did we love logan's run so much? it was pretty dark (for the 80's). thanks for the flashback.
: )